Tuesday 11 February 2014

Preparation for eels in the warmer months.

With the closing of the rivers rapidly approaching my attention is slowly moving towards targeting eels. I have drawn up a short list of potential waters and now have around 10 potential venues. I am aiming to target 3 or 4 or these over the spring/summer with the aim of beating my current pb eel of around 2lb.


The first of these waters is a place I know very well and it regularly produces eels, although these are generally quite small, I know of a few larger specimens that have came out in the last year or so.

The second venue is a syndicate water which I have joined for the year, this water has produced very large eels in the past, mainly to carp anglers.

The third venue is a very difficult water to fish, very clear water, low stock density, and it is also very snaggy but I have heard rumours of it producing very large eels in the past.

Over the warmer months I am planning to night fish these waters as often as time will allow. I have spent some time over the past few months gathering info and carrying out recces, getting suitable tackle ready, rig making and doing a lot of reading on eel fishing.

The inspiration
The longstanding British record eel of 11lb 2oz caught by Stephen Terry in 1978, what a fish !
I am fairly confident of catching a few eels in the coming months, hopefully my eel fishing will be more successful than my pike season so far.

I have still only caught 5 pike this season but I am fairly confident that I will be able to get into double figures and hopefully get at least 1 double figure fish as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment