Thursday 23 December 2021

Covid catch-up part 2

With restrictions easing I was able to carry out my usual close season recces and even started a short eel campaign on a large gravel pit.




A good number of hours walking the banks with a castable fish-finder and a pair of polaroids, usually followed by a pint on the way home. I find these recces are invaluable, I don't always fish the stretches I recce straight away, sometimes not for a season or two, but they help build up a picture of the whole river and plus they keep me busy when the rivers are closed.

Short eel campaign 

I had planned on fishing for eels from mid-spring throughout the summer, but as usual as soon as the rivers open I found it hard to sit it out on the still waters.

I only managed 5 sessions before the rivers opened, 4 on a large gravel pit and 1 on a small local pond. I had yet to catch or even see an eel from either so always knew it was going to be difficult.

A missed run on the second session on the large pit gave me some hope and I managed two eels on the next visit. 
  


Nothing huge but I was very pleased with my first eels by design for a few years and the first I've seen from this venue 

Back on the rivers

Early season visits to the rivers were difficult, rivers were low and fish were hard to come by.



Eventually a few modest barbel and chub were landed during some short after work sessions, but I definitely should of continued fishing for the eels.   


No comments:

Post a Comment