Wednesday 29 December 2021

Late Autumn Trent Barbel (catch-up part 6)


 A planned social session down to the Trent for a mates birthday, 3 of us stopping for some food and a beer then heading to the middle Trent in search of barbel.

Ben had the best of this session with 7 (maybe 8) barbel to 12lb.


I split my session, between barbel and pike/zander, 3 barbel to 9lb and a modest pike.



The birthday boy had a bit of a nightmare session, forgotten equipment, a barbel blank and a lost rod ! I don’t even think a birthday pint cheered him up !

A week later I was back down with Ben, a short session, turned up as it was getting dark, left at first light, just the one fish this session.

The only interest on a difficult session, far too much debris coming down a river running cold

A week or so later I had the chance for an overnight trip back down to the Trent, more favourable conditions with very mild weather, the river had dropped a bit and most importantly the barbel were on the feed.

A full 35 mins after casting in I was into a good fish, the fish didn’t pull hard, just held its ground in the powerful flow. Eventually it tired and I pulled a new p.b over the net.

12.03lb - a new p.b, a great way to start the session

That first fish was the start of a very memorable session and a very busy night!







11 takes, 9 barbel landed with 6 doubles. (12.03lb, 10.04lb, 9.11lb, 6ish, 11.06lb 10.10lb, 11.09lb, 11.08lb and 6lbish)

On some of my local rivers I fish that’s a seasons worth of barbel and a lifetimes worth of doubles!

Obviously I couldn’t wait for the next trip down the A1……

5 comments:

  1. Great write ups Darren.Enjoyed reading them, some great fish there. I fancy heading down to Trent for zander. Those Barbel - what a session!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Adam, I’ve fished for zander a couple of times but only managed one, I’ll be trying for them again next season hopefully.

      Delete
  2. What a bag of barbel! Great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a superb haul that is! never experienced fishing like that before, still chance of another trip out whilst the mild weather sticks around?

    ReplyDelete